Seeking Cooperative Youth Ministry Leader
Christ Congregational Church (UCC) in Silver Spring MD and Takoma Park Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) in Takoma Park, MD, are currently searching for a half-time Cooperative Youth Ministry Leader who will minister to youth and their families as we continue to develop our collaborative, community youth ministry of about 40 students. The Cooperative Youth Ministry Leader will plan and lead weekly youth group meetings and activities for high school and middle school youth, with attention to justice ministries, service, and community building. We are searching for a creative, flexible professional with demonstrated availability to motivate, educate, and develop spirituality in youth, as well as collaborate with parish staffs and lay leaders. Our cooperative youth program welcomes and celebrates teens and families of all races, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
For more information, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CYM Leader will oversee the youth group activities and provide a safe environment where youth can have fun, develop friendships and trust among each other while shepherding their spiritual development through experiential learning.
CYM Leader Responsibilities
- Work with the youth and congregational leadership to plan and lead regular youth group meetings or activities, with attention to spiritual development through engaging activities, discussion, and direct service in the community.
- Lead the youth in spiritual practices, including exploring their own faith and caring for one another.
- Assist with recruitment and coordination of adult volunteers for CYM and the “Our Whole Lives” curriculum (OWL).
- Become trained and participate as an OWL instructor, as appropriate.
- Explore, initiate and lead one weekend retreat during the school year, and one week-long summer mission trip per year.
- Advocate for the youth among the congregational leaders.
- Be a visible participant and develop relationships within the church communities.
- Develop programming for spiritual formation.
- Participate in youth ministry professional development as funding permits.
- Other duties as required.
Key Values in CYM
- Developing faith, hope, love and friendship among young people.
- Inclusivity and support of youth and families of all races, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
- Fellowship and recreation.
- Provision for “multiple intelligences” in activities and worship.
- Connection of Gospel and faith to social justice and service projects.
- Intentional experience with spiritual practices.
- Integration of youth with all aspects of church life.
- Building intergenerational opportunities for worship and mission.
- Innovation, flexibility, creativity.
- Integrity and faith.
Qualifications for CYM Leader Position
- At least two years experience working with teens.
- Knowledge of youth development and best practices of youth ministry.
- Sense of humor and candor.
- Demonstrated availability to motivate, educate and develop young people in spiritual matters.
- Ability to connect youth with their faith, church, and larger community.
- Note: Lay and ordained persons will be considered for this “non-called” position.
- The CYM Leader will be supervised by the CCC and TPPC senior pastors and meet periodically to review programs and share progress and concerns.
- Performance evaluations of the CYM Leader will occur annually.
- The CYM Leader will have a background check as a condition of employment and shall agree to abide by the TPPC and CCC Safe Conduct Policies.
Salary, Benefits, and Leave
- One Half-time Position Salaried; schedule is flexible to accommodate fluctuating needs of job
- Salary: $29,200.
- Healthcare allowance: $3,060.
- Continuing Education ($500) and Travel Reimbursement available.
- Vacation: 1 week paid annually, with potential for more vacation with tenure.
- Study Leave/Spiritual Formation: 1 week paid annually, as approved by supervisors.
- Comp Time: Per the hiring body’s HR Manual.
- Paid Holidays: Per the hiring body’s HR Manual.
- Sick Leave, Bereavement Leave, Family Leave: Per the hiring body’s HR Manual.